I had the tremendous honour of speaking to a large group of teenagers last week and one of the things I was asked to do was discuss some of my favourite books – especially in the YA genre. That was because the teachers and librarians were hoping I would inspire the students to become (more) passionate about reading. Since I’m super passionate about all things reading and writing related, I had a lot of fun with that particular task, and I want to share some of the recommendations I gave with you here (as well as some others that I didn’t give).
These are in no particular order, by the way…
1. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling:
2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis:
3. The Juliette Chronicles by Tahereh Mafi:
4. The Tiger Saga by Colleen Houck:
5. The Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan:
6. The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins:
7. The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth (*I haven’t read the third one, though):
8. Graceling by Kristen Cashore (*I can’t actually remember why I loved this, just that I did):
9. The River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren:
10. Legends of the Guardian King by Karen Hancock:
11. The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas:
12. The Green Rider series by Kristen Britain:
13. The Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliette Marillier (*I think this has possibly now extended to a series):
14. The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini:
15. The White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter:
13. The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead:
14. The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer (I know there’s a lot of boo-ing about these books, but no one can deny that Stephenie Meyer inspired a lot of young readers to enjoy reading again! She helped open up the YA genre to a whole slew of new readers, so I tremendously respect her for managing that!):
15. The Starbound series by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner:
16. The Study Series AND The Glass Series by Maria V. Snyder:
Aaaaaannndd there you have it, folks! Obviously there are probably a gazillion more books I’ve read and adored, but these are the most notable ones that jump straight to mind. If you have some spare reading time up your sleeves, I definitely recommend giving them a shot!
Now it’s your turn – any recommendations for me? After all, I LOVE hearing about new, fabulous books to read! So hit me with your best recs!